A work in progress!

Review: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse, Volume 1: Animator by Laurell K. Hamilton

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse,  Volume 1: AnimatorAnita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse, Volume 1: Animator by Laurell K. Hamilton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is very short and I wrote a long review of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures combined collection, so I'll just make a few points. Again, the plot is very consistent with the print book, so if you're a fan of the series, you're sure to like this. And I still really like how the graphic novel format emphasizes how petite and feminine Anita is, you really don't get as good a feel for it in the books, no matter how many times she says it. Seeing a small, curvy woman in a skirt and heels creates the image much more strongly of who this character is, female but still tough. It really is an enjoyable supplement to the books. 

There are a few negatives. Anita is so much more in her head than an action character, at least in this one, that the graphic novel format is a bit awkward at times; it's more thought bubbles than action. And why is her nose red in almost every frame? She looks like she's sick, drunk or has been crying. And I still think Jean Claude looks kind of ridiculous, way too black and white and chiseled. I know he's a vampire and is supposed to be pale and that they want to show a contrast with Anita, but he looks like they forgot to color him in. Still, it's mostly minor stuff in an enjoyable book. 

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My new little sweetheart of a mutt

My new little sweetheart of a mutt

Such a goober

Such a goober

Always in my heart

Always in my heart

  © Blogger template Noblarum by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP